Home Noticeboard Maintenance, Renovation, Repairs Forum Topping up fuel tank for winter

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Peter LloydPeter Lloyd
    Keymaster

In the past topping up fuel tank for winter was the recommended way to winterise the boat. However, in the last two years I have had fuel problems at the start of the season and was wondering what experience others have had. I see POB are telling us that the “oil majors collectively agree you should not store diesel longer than six months”. Presumably because of the bio content now added to their fuels. Are some fuels better than others? Should I now be thinking of using up most of my fuel before the end of the season. If so how should I be leaving my tanks and what should I be doing come the spring. Are any of the additives worth considering?

I agrée about the issue of the current policy of blending with bio ingredients, which are known to attract moisture, which increases the risk of bacterial growth.
    As 99% of the volume of diesel sold goes into road and other transport things, most of which use up and refill their tank every few days or weeks, they hardly ever suffer from “diesel bug”. If the pollution levels are reduced as a result of the biodiesel use, then I suppose that it can be claimed that it is the right thing to do.
    Due to the fact that auxiliary engines in sailing boats use 0.0000(0?0?)% of production of diesel fuel, it’s pretty unlikely that the refineries and distribution will want to continue to supply “straight” fuel.
    Conclusion is that we will have to rely on using the proprietary additives that are available from reputable sources, or perhaps (as I do), drain my tank every spring, and come to an agreement with a friend who still has an oil-fired central heating boiler. I then fill up with fresh diesel from the local service station.
    That is feasible with the 50 litre tank on my MW 27, but would be be more complicated with a bigger boat, especially if with twin tanks.

Further thoughts: the reason for leaving tanks full in the winter was to prevent water condensation on the inside of the (untreated mild steel) fuel tanks, as classic diesel is a diluted oil, that protects the metal.
    I have no idea if the new blended diesel still provides the same protection.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.